19 January 2008

Scotch Review #1: Lagavulin


"Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds..."
~Sonnet 116, William Shakespeare


Color:
Dark Amber/ Bronze
Nose: Rich, aromatic, and complex, with gunsmoke, and trawler ropes. Cigar smoke.
Body: Full
Palate: Highly complex. Dried seaweed, perfumed smoke.
Finish: Very long. Smoke, stewed tea.

The Opinion:
I must admit, that since the beginning of my endeavors with Scotch that Lagavulin has been my ever fixéd mark by which I have judged all others. However, my latest experience left me wanting. I am not yet ready to take Lagavulin off of the pedestal on which I have placed it, but it did not stand out amongst the Islay Malts as I remember.

The nose was extraordinary as ever. Particularly, I enjoyed the gunsmoke as compared to the "smokes" of the other South Islays. The palate was pleasurable but I was able to distinguish the seaweed more than I have in the past. Whereas before it was an unnamed quality, this time when the seaweed element stood out, I felt, it mitigated the experience. The finish was once again enchanting and provided for a pleasant evening. Overall, I give it an 8.5.

2 comments:

Colabella said...

Huzzah, Caol Ila!

Benjamin said...

Mmmmm.... that sounds REALLY good...